Wednesday, August 28, 2013

To blog or not?!


I love seeing updates of our nieces,nephews and friends on family and friends' blogs or looking up yummy things to eat I wish would just appear on my plate. I enjoy looking at pictures, just not of myself! So I was quite hesitant to start a blog. I wasn't sure what I'd post and I thought it was too much work. However, I also realized Tyler and I are terrible at keeping a journal and soon I was forgetting things that we had done together. So, partly to ease some of my guilty conscience and in an attempt to have some record of what we've been up to, I thought it might be more fun to post little updates in our lives and maybe an occasional picture. Thus, our blog was born.

Now, what to post?
For a long time we joked that we'd be ready for additional family members when we could keep a fish alive. Easy enough, right? WRONG! Sadly, we went through several small goldfish and beta fish, that, despite our loving attention, just did not seem to want to stay in their fish bowls. Yes- we had MULTIPLE fish jump out of their bowls, several that had to be flushed and even one "unaccounted-for mystery disappearance." Even though we had been putting beta water drops in the water, we finally came to the conclusion that the water in Provo was just not suitable for fish (which gave me great comfort thinking we were drinking that same apparently "toxic" water). Recently we took our chances and bought one more fish (but used bottled water- yes, it gets better treatment than us!) AND- we are happy to report that we had success! We were official "fishy parents" :)
Now we're up to 4 pretty beta fish- Look at us go!



Our next "milestone" to reach was getting plants (specifically flowers) to grow from seeds. Our first attempt did not go well as we admittedly got started too late in the summer. However, we weren't ready to give up so easily, so this summer, we set out our plant pots and planted our seeds in late May. Then our landlord decided to water the doors (we're still not sure what she thought she was accomplishing) so our plants got flooded. We tried again. Then we got bugs in the dirt that ate the tiny, just-barely visible seedlings. Hmmm. Replanted- and the hottest summer in Utah came and just scorched our dirt (that attempt really never had a chance of producing plants). Then we moved and I thought, I'll give it one last shot: SUCCESS! Although we don't have any flowers yet, I'm optimistic that we'll get some- but we have green for the time being- more than we've ever had before!




Fish: check. Plants: Check. So- ready or not- we're having a baby! (Our decision to have a baby wasn't really contingent on if we could keep a fish or plants alive, but it is a little more comforting to us to think we can keep things alive, finally!) When we found out a little boy would be joining our family in January- that pretty much made up my mind on starting a blog - - I wanted to be able to give updates and "brag" about our little guy too!! :)

Tyler had just started his job in Salt Lake and didn't think he'd be able to make it for our 20-week ultrasound appointment (August 15). However, he has a very understanding and supportive boss and excited co-workers that basically kicked him out of the office the minute he said the appointment was happening that afternoon. He made it back just in time to surprise me with flowers as I was pulling out to go to the appointment (we were just going to have the technician write down the gender and look at it together later that night). I was so happy he could be there- I don't know what was more fun- seeing the first pictures of our son or seeing Tyler's face filled with so much excitement!! We knew we'd be thrilled with a boy or girl- we just wanted a baby! And I know Tyler would just melt for a little girl, but, I knew he had already pictured watching the BIG GAME with his little boy...and so, we were overjoyed when we could clearly see: It's a BOY! Everything looked great during the ultrasound and he has definitely been very active ever since! I had people telling me that they could start feeling their babies kicking starting at 17 weeks, but I hadn't felt anything (or that I recognized as baby movement at least!) However, within a day or two after seeing our little guy, I clearly felt some little taps and Tyler could feel them too! Now- I think he's running laps or something- I feel him moving around a lot! It still is fun to think- there is a person in there! And we couldn't be more excited and anxious to meet him! Now- to pick out a name... :)




1 comment:

  1. Love your blog! So glad you decided to do one! Now I can blog stalk you :) can't wait for the pictures of baby Davis!

    ReplyDelete