Tuesday, September 9, 2014

8 months!

Jordy Jordy Jordy! :)
This little guy is just that...a little guy-- he hardly seems like my little BABY some days! I feel like he's a totally different little boy from even just a month ago. But, even though life seems like it's been a little crazy lately, he has kept me smiling with his big smile! (He's also who I "blame" for not getting anything done during the day, but hey, if I'm going to go crazy anyway- I'd rather go crazy with this cutie!)

Some days this shirt says it all!

Jordy is usually so happy- but he does get upset and crabby if he doesn't get to destroy papers, or eat cords or pinch his fingers in cupboards/drawers, etc. (I know- we're so mean). I've been getting a lot of pressure recently to get going on my thesis, yet Jordy seems to have other plans for me! If I'm not down on the floor with him every moment he's awake, he lets me know how he disapproves!

Some highlights for Jordy at 8 months:
- He is eating pears, bananas, peaches, squash, sweet potatoes, prunes and carrots. However, he hasn't budged much on his position re: green beans and peas...he is NOT a fan! 
- He also enjoys picking up the little cereal puffs and eating them ALL BY HIMSELF!
- He is ON THE MOVE!!! At first we weren't saying he was crawling because he would just "will" himself to wherever he wanted to be (I don't know how to describe his movement!) But now, it's not even always a "traditional" crawl, but he sure can move fast doing what he's doing! 
- He can get from crawling to sitting to pretty much any position on the floor! (Tyler has discovered this all while trying to change his diaper! Tyler is going to have to get faster pretty soon...otherwise there is going to be a diaper-less baby on the loose because Jordy got away so fast!)
- Jordy is quite ticklish! :) (Poor guy, he had no hope with his dad being super ticklish as well!) Sometimes I feel a little mean tickling him...but then I can't get enough of his little squeal/laugh! 
- The excessive drooling has decreased significantly- however, still no sign of teeth
- He has started shaking his head back and forth (and seems to think it's especially fun to do while we're trying to get a spoonful of babyfood into his mouth!) 
- Jordy sleeps 9-10 hours at night- but he still prefers to fall asleep on us and we are still employed as the "pacifier-putter-backers" when he starts stirring :)
- Jordy has been pulling himself up to things and standing while holding on to the chair or couch for the past few weeks (in fact, we thought he might skip crawling and go right to walking!) 
- Sometimes Jordy pretends to by shy or clingy when others are talking to him- but we know he loves the attention! 
- He can be quite "talkative" at times- but we haven't heard any ma-ma or -da-da yet
- Loves playing peek-a-boo and "flying in the air" (those are usually when we get the most "laughs" out of him)
- Is such a curious monkey! If it lights up, has a screen, makes noise...he has to check it out!
- Gives GREAT hugs! And slobbery kisses (actually, sometimes they're more like hickies) He also can sort of gives high fives! (likes slapping our hands)
- Likes smacking his lips together and clicking his tongue (he does "Yurtle-the-Turtle" a lot still!) 
- Has enough hair now that Tyler has put it into a "mohawk" or he'll wake up with "bed head" (it's still very thin...but it's coming!)
- He recently discovered the game of throw-things-off-the-highchair-and-make-someone-else-pick-it-up...OVER AND OVER! :)
- Not really that interested in books...except for eating! 
- LOVES being entertained (he sometimes acts like he needs us to prove that his toys are fun to play with...so I feel like I play with them more than he does!)
- Has an amazing knack for spotting our phones...even when they're hidden in our pockets! He also gets so excited when we pull out the iPad to Facetime with family-- that's of course before he tries eating it! 
- Still likes eating his pacifier (he doesn't really suck on it...he stuffs the whole thing in his mouth sideways!)
- Is such a happy, healthy, energetic boy that brings us so much joy!





Jordy sporting the "mohawk" 
It's getting harder and harder to take his picture with the football. He either wants to just push it away or eat it or crawl away himself...







Jordy's early crawling!

Jordy's "new" trick: 


My favorite thing about being a mom: Being able to say I was "productive" spending more of my time during the day on the floor than on my feet--being there for Jordy to stack the blocks for the hundredth time or playing peek-a-boo behind the couch for 10 minutes straight. I'm fortunate that this semester is fairly low-key for me...I am just working with a few clients in the University clinic while making great progress on my thesis. haha! No- I STILL haven't made ANY progress on my thesis, but did I make Jordy smile...yup! This has been a real battle for me- and I was recently talking with my sister Rachel about my struggle with trying to finish my program while also wanting to be there for Jordy. I acknowledge that I can't give 100% to everything- something has to give. She was telling me about a story she had heard- and in summary- when a mom was asked why she left work to spend most of her day driving kids around from activity to activity--why not just hire someone to "taxi" her kids around- how is that something a mom needs to a be there for? But then the mother's reply was that it was during those moments her kids said things that she would have missed if someone else had been driving them. It was during those moments that she really connected with her kids- that they understood she was there to listen to their day- to be there when they needed. This really got me thinking. I want Jordy to know that I am ALWAYS THERE for him. I want to be the one playing peek-a-boo with him! In order to finish my program, I will need to have someone else watch Jordy occasionally, however, ultimately, my goal is to be able to spend the majority of my time with my kids doing all that important stuff...like peek-a-boo! :)

Things that Matter MOST Video

Also- a few weeks ago I found out a teacher at the school I taught at 2 years ago just lost her little baby (he was born just a few weeks before Jordy). It breaks my heart every time I read his story and what his family has been through. The night I saw the news, I held Jordy so close and felt an indescribable amount of love for him that I didn't even know I had the capacity to feel. That added capacity to love someone else came the moment I became a mother. Even when it's been a hard day with Jordy, I am so grateful for his health and happiness. The fact that he can get into things and be a handful is something to be thankful for. I just was so moved by this little boy-- in his short little life, the number of lives he touched is incredible.

Ryder- the Heart Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment