Which means the class I was the TA for is over, Tyler finished his MBA math class, Tyler got an interview with UW-Madison (should be hearing back from them this week), we got our taxes filed (we've decided if we're going to be poor- we might as well be poor students - at least we get some credit for it! :) AND...JORDY IS WALKING almost 90% of the time! :)
Jordy's walking process:
Jordy started standing independently the end of October/early November, but he didn't really try taking any steps. In December he got really comfortable walking along furniture and would walk with his walker or car toy. Then in January he had a few random moments (a couple when we were doing Facetime with Grandma Hyatt!) that he just decided to try taking some steps. But we couldn't get him to do it on command (when we had the camera) and he still was dropping down to crawl when he really wanted to get somewhere. But just in the last week and a half, I guess he decided he was ready! He would get up again instead of just starting to crawl when he fell (sometimes the way he got up was very "effortful"- bending one knee and then doing a half lunge thing...more work than I would do to get up!) The last few days he started getting up a little more "efficiently"- putting his butt in the air and pushing off the ground with his hands! He still is a little unsteady- but he can get around pretty fast now (uh oh!) Seriously, sometimes it looks like he is trying to run more than walk! We can hardly keep up with him-- by the time we get him from the kitchen cupboards he's walked to the bathroom lifting up the toilet seat or in our room opening our drawers! He loves being chased- especially by his dad!
I mentioned last update that it's probably about time I get to serious work on my thesis...and I've thought about it! :) It just was a little hard to pick doing that when I could get paid to work! But I've also run out of "excuses" to avoid my thesis chair...uh. If only she had more "sympathy" or saw this video...it explains my life!
Why I get nothing done...
In Jordy's "defense"- he does try to "help",,, even before he started walking he started taking his dirty diapers to the bathroom where we have his diaper trash can. (He's even better at it now that he is walking :)
He also likes putting things in containers (including his babysitter's keys in the garbage) and if you need anything dumped out-- he's your guy!
(Usually he just takes his diaper without playing with it or having us ask him to take it- but this time, he saw we had the camera! But, it does show him crawling with his diaper...now he mostly walks with it. I guess he figured out walking was a little easier!)
Look at Jordy "helping" at the store...good thing there was a buckle and Tyler was with me this time...he was trying so hard to get that machine! And look how happy he was after reaching it! :)
- Jordy has 6 teeth showing now
- We had to trim a few hairs around his ears- hopefully the hair in the back won't get too long too fast otherwise he's going to have a mullet!
- He loves walking around throwing and chasing his football or soccer ball or Tyler's basketball...(Tyler is SO excited about this!)
- Jordy knows where specific toys and objects are and will go get them. He also can point to his belly button, hair, mouth and nose when asked to!
- He still LOVES bananas more than anything!
- He likes trying to feed himself with a spoon (sometimes he feeds his ear or his hair...but he doesn't seem to mind) He even eats peas...but only if he can put them on a spoon that he is holding and then try getting that to his mouth.
- Jordy will try imitating some things we say and he says "dad" or "daddy", "mom" (usually when he's upset) and really comes close to sounding like he's saying "hot" (when we were blowing on his food and saying "hot" to him- he decided that was a word he'd try!)
*To be honest- this has been a hard thing for me (again) recently- sitting in a language development class and talking about what's "normal" or not as far as when kids should begin talking. According to my class- Jordy should be saying several words on his own by now. However- as I've worked with early intervention SLPs these last 2 months- they've told me they don't care so much about "number of words" as much as the functionality of the child's communication- how they use the communication/words they have. I still feel torn with this though- how do I leave Jordy all day long to go work with other people's kids? Am I putting Jordy's language development at risk? I can't tell if these feelings are just me looking for reasons why not to work on my thesis or if I'm supposed to be doing something differently... Maybe Jordy will have need for an SLP at some point- and that's fine if so, maybe I will know how to help him. I know this was a tangent- it's just been on my mind a lot recently, especially as we'll be making a big decision in the next month as to where we'll be for the next 2.5 years (at least) and that will kind of determine what options I might have if I'm going to finish my certification requirements. Ugh! I wish these choices weren't so hard!
He continues to be quite the ham! (*You'll have to excuse my gasping unintelligibility at the end...Jordy's laugh caught me off guard...)
| Getting dried off with his minion towel after his bath! |
| One of Jordy's favorite hobbies! Hiding things! :) He then likes laying down on his belly to look at his handy work! (He actually lays like that a lot while playing...not sure where he saw that...) |
| Ok- size of cup didn't really matter! He's still working on it! :) |
| My aunt Danielle found a Packer football and gave it to Jordy! He LOVES it. Throwing things around keeps him more occupied than any other toy so far! |




No comments:
Post a Comment