Wednesday, July 8, 2015

July 4th

The beginning of July has always been a fun time of year for us. This year, however, I had my thesis prospectus date scheduled for July 9th, but still didn't have a prospectus for my committee, so there was some added stress going into July, but I didn't want to admit it.

We were also trying to make moving arrangements, which included looking at mini-vans. We were thinking it would probably be easier to get a car loan while we had employment and between our '92 Toyota leaking more oil than it retained and our '01 Kia that made "un-diagnosable" noises and rattles, we figured we needed a more reliable vehicle that would last us some time. So yup, we were shopping for the soccer-mom vehicle already! :) There also seemed to be a much larger selection of used mini-vans in Utah (go figure!), so we were hoping to get one while we were still in Utah and then drive it out to WI. It just was stressful and VERY time consuming going to dealerships and dealing with car salesmen and trying to find a reasonable deal for the specs we wanted...blah. We ended up test-driving a van the very end of June and they were getting pretty pushy to finalize the sale and we were running out of time. SO- long story short, we signed the papers for a '06 Toyota Sienna on July 1st! Yikes! I don't want to deal with car salesmen again for a LONG time. I'm just grateful THAT is over and behind us...(sort of...the tire pressure light came on as we drove away, go figure!!)

So- we had a new-to-us mini-van to drive up to Idaho for the 4th of July. This was my 5th consecutive 4th of July spent in Idaho Falls! And to think: Tyler and I are together now in large part because of my trip up to Idaho Falls 5 years ago :)

Part of the tradition around July 4th is going to Reed's Dairy! Tyler took me there the first year and introduced me to a "brown cow." Maybe this isn't just an Idaho-thing, but I had never had it before! It's like a rootbeer float, but instead of rootbeer, they put in chocolate milk! And not just ANY chocolate milk- IDAHO chocolate milk (which means there are potato, yes, I said POTATO flakes in it!) I was skeptical at first, but, I have to admit, it is yummy! (Just really thick -- no potato flavor, I promise!) So we took Jordy to the dairy and got a treat!
**Side story with Reed's Dairy: That first year Tyler took me, there were about 30 other people staying at Tyler's house (that was Eric's doing- I still feel bad for his mom about that weekend!) Anyway, so it was a big deal that just Tyler and I went to the Dairy together. I was wearing white capris and had just tasted my first-ever brown cow. I will admit, I'm a terrible "flirter". But while I had Tyler's one-on-one attention, I attempted to do so- because I wanted to make a lasting impression on him! Somehow, blowing bubbles in my chocolate milk was what this terrible flirter came up with. AND- let's just say my white capris didn't stay white after that! And Tyler doesn't let me forget about that incident either! :)



Jordy enjoyed seeing the farm animals. But it was SO hot that day, we all just wanted some shade!
The baby cow was Jordy's favorite! He thinks every animal says "moo"! :)
Not such a fan of the donkeys!

This picture is actually from the day before, during Provo's Freedom Festival, but it's the only picture we took from that night. Jordy was getting to taste some acai...a yummy treat I ate a few times while in Brasil! This picture doesn't do it justice, but just take my word, it is good! (Some say it's better than icecream, but I won't go that far!) July 4th Week is just a good time for lots of yummy treats!

Jordy actually went to the 4th of July parade that morning with his aunt Julie and cousins (Kenzi and Kyler). I was working on my prospectus (ick) and Tyler had to take the van in to figure out why we were losing tire pressure (naturally, after being in possession of the car for less than 48 hours!) Then when they got back, Jordy quickly discovered the basketball hoop at Grandma and Grandpa Davis' house! (He has an eye for them-- he loves shouting "baball" the minute he sees a hoop!) He especially loved playing with Kyler. Poor Jordy doesn't even have to do much before he's a sweat-ball though!





Oh Jordy...always a ham!
He was trying to get Koda to play too! :)
We met up with some friends that night to watch the "famous" Idaho Falls fireworks with a front-row seat close to where they shoot them off by the river (also part of the tradition of the 4th in Idaho-- the location of our first hand-hold! hahaha!)

Rachel Bronson and her husband, Darrin, and 2 boys (Logan being a glow-bug with the glow-sticks!)
Travis McClure and his wife, Liz, and their 2 girls! (Kennley just adores Jordy-she's already decided she's marrying him!)
I was really struggling to figure out my camera settings...it could have been a cute picture!
We were a little nervous if Jordy would like being that close to the fireworks. During the week leading up to the 4th, people were doing little fireworks in their yard or a random few would shoot off in the sky and Jordy had gotten really upset with the loud booms-- so we came prepared with Tyler's noise-cancelling headphones, lots of fruitsnacks, and his pacifier! Jordy didn't ever cry, but I don't think he wants to watch them every night either! 
I, on the other hand, LOVE fireworks! They just seem to be so magical! :) I had been skeptical that first year if Idaho Falls would really have "amazing" fireworks like Tyler claimed, but once again, I was not disappointed! Here's a little youtube clip of the fireworks show if you want to see for yourself!




 Even though I had to be working on my prospectus (for real this time, I was down to less than a week!) we had LOTS of fun in Idaho! It's a little sad thinking we might not be able to be in Idaho next 4th of July- depending on Tyler's internship...we'll miss the "Idaho-gang"! I never would have imagined when my friend, Kendra, moved to Idaho Falls during High School that I'd meet a really good friend (Rachel!) through Kendra from there, and eventually, my HUSBAND would be from there! Crazy...
Jordy loves his Grandpa-time! Especially when it involves getting to look at the cows they let graze in their yard, barefoot! :)
 Grandma and Grandpa Davis!
 
Jordy and Julie and Nate's family: Kosha, Kaitlin, Kenzi, and Kyler
We actually said our "goodbyes" to Kristi and her family a few days earlier when they came down to Provo- we met them at them at the Provo splashpad (another thing we'll miss!)

Jordy and Kristi and Stan's family: Grant, Carson, Travis, (I don't know where Bennett was at the moment!) and Maci
 
It's fun to see how much more Jordy enjoys the splash pad compared to his first couple visits!
This video is from a different time at the splash pad...but still shows some of his excitement (instead of anger at getting wet!)

As I said before, July is just a good time for yummy treats- and because there isn't a better place to stick these pictures, here are more yummy treats Jordy has been enjoying recently:

Jordy LOVES his smoothies! It's been one of the only ways to get him to eat fruit- so we pack it full of berries and bananas and of course his real favorite: gogo (yogurt!)
July is the anniversary month at Krispy Kreme where they run a promotion of BOGO dozen. What family of 3 needs 24 donuts...we do!! :) I will leave this Krispy Kreme adventure with these cute pictures...never mind that the "good deal" turned into paying for a boot to be removed-- grrrrr!!!...**stupid mom moment #5,987 and counting...**


At least he was happy about the donuts!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment