Welcome: Jordan Paul Davis!
At 4:27 am on Monday, December 30th, 2013 we welcomed "little" Jordy into our family!
I went in for a check-up on Friday and was told I was dilated to 1 cm and because of having a little high blood pressure, we were given the option of being induced that night. However, we decided to give our little guy a few more days to see if he'd come on his own. (Though, we still went on some walks and tried eating spicy food to help encourage him to come...whether those things help or not- it at least helped us stay busy thinking we were encouraging him!) I had a bad headache all Sunday and after talking to the on-call nurse, she said to go in and get checked. So, in we went with our bags packed (But not until we saw the Packers beat the Bears- securing a spot in the playoffs...which was very important to see!) They were monitoring my blood pressure- but because it wasn't dangerously high and I was at about 4 cm already, they again gave us the option of being induced-- which we decided to go ahead and do (we figured we were about as ready as we were going to be!)
I was started on some Pitocin to get things going at about 9pm. I had been having minor contractions- I just wasn't feeling much still--but I started feeling them pretty soon after that! Just after midnight I was ready for an epidural (yeah for modern medicine!), but I was still feeling contractions so I had to get something added to the epidural which finally made things nicer! At 2 am the doctor came and broke my water and then the nurse came in about 4am to check on me and was surprised to see I was already at 10 cm! She called in the doctor and they got prepped (I woke Tyler up from sleeping on the couch in the room to say "this is it!" and the nurse told him he'd be helping hold a leg, but poor Tyler was still half asleep and asked, "do I have to?!") But he did a good job- he kept his word and mostly just looked at my face and helped count for me- the next part just went so fast... it seemed like it was over before I really started...I hardly pushed for 15-20 min and Jordy was born by 4:27! It really was an amazing thing- one minute he was inside me, the next he was laying on my chest. I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything. I really can't describe it except to say I am grateful Jordy turned so that I was able to experience it (I know, it sounds weird to say that- but it's true! I didn't understand until actually doing it...and even being part of it- it still seemed a little surreal! But it was incredible to realize I was holding OUR SON in my arms!)
One final picture before meeting Jordy...
(Yes- celebrating the Packer's victory by
wearing Tyler's "got Aaron?" shirt!)
The first thing the doctor said when he pulled Jordy out was, "That is not a 7 lb baby!" (I'm not sure why they thought he'd be 7 lbs...they must make bets guessing the weight with every delivery). Nope- our little guy was a whopping 9 lbs 4 oz (20 inches)!
Just perfect!
That's one proud daddy!
The nurses brought Jordy into our room and gave us about 5 min. of "do's" and "don'ts" and that was that! Tyler and I just looked at each other...that was our "initiation" into parenthood. They just expected us to know what to do with him...ha! Where was the instruction manual?!
Good thing for grandmas and grandpas!!!
![]() |
| Grandpa Davis |
![]() |
| Grandma Davis |
![]() |
| Grandma Hyatt |
| Grandpa Hyatt |
Coming home!
Apparently with big babies, they often have trouble with low blood sugar after being born. We got a little scared, but the pediatrician reassured us that as long as he was eating every 2 hours or so his levels should go up. It meant that Jordy had to get poked almost every time he ate to test his blood sugar, and after a slow start, his levels eventually went up. He had to keep the levels up for 24 hours, and he did it! We got the "ok" to go home about 6pm December 31st. I couldn't believe it...they were actually letting us leave with this perfect little baby!!













No comments:
Post a Comment