Tuesday, April 21, 2015

It's all fun and games...until someone gets hurt :(

Look at that cheesy smile--it just melts my heart! 
Well. There's no easy way to write this: Mom fail of the century: I broke my kid. :(

I had to put this as a different post from the last...
As you noticed- Jordy HAD been having a lot of fun at the park...until I came along :(

I hate swinging. But I wanted to do something with Jordy- so I said I'd take him down a slide. As I sat down with him and put him on my lap, I very clearly thought "I need to be really careful to not let Jordy's legs catch." So I had his legs in my lap and down we went. I had my feet down most the way, trying to go slower- but as we came around the last bend, Jordy put his legs up and with his shoes on, his leg kind of stuck to the top of the slide. Tyler was waiting for us at the bottom and saw his leg up, but I knew it was up as well as soon as I heard Jordy start crying. He cried harder and longer than is usual for Jordy's typical spills and bumps, so that was our first clue something was wrong. He did calm down, but stayed super clingy to me and didn't want me to even get close to the ground. He didn't want to be put down. Immediately I felt sick to my stomach. I knew it- I had just broken his leg. He was on MY lap. I should have known better.

Looking back, we realized we probably could have gone into an instacare or something-- but we didn't. We went straight to the ER. (Yeah- our student-loans will get some more use :p ) Jordy wasn't crying anymore, but still was clingy and we were trying to be really careful with his leg. They felt his leg a little and could tell it was more tender for him near his knee. He had 2 X-rays taken and then the doctor came in and said it was a small buckle fracture on his tibia. They put a splint on him and then told us Jordy would need to have a cast put on in a few days. Jordy was definitely not happy when they did the x-rays, and it just made me cry so hard- because not only had I caused this for him-- they were then asking me to hold him down while it was obviously hurting him to be in that position. Thankfully, as soon as he got the splint on, he was his happy Jordy self again (just pretty tired- as it was almost 3 hours after we got to the ER). Luckily- they said this kind of fracture should heal very quickly and fully, so Jordy shouldn't have any lingering effects (except, never trusting me again). They gave us this advice as we left: "try to keep him as immobile and still as possible. Good luck!"

HA!

Keep a 15 month old still? Just when he was run-walking all over the place?! Cruel mom moment #2- trying to keep him in my lap all day Sunday (Which happened to be our 3 year anniversary. Not quite what I thought I'd be doing 3 years from the day that I was so happy- but luckily- Tyler said he didn't hate me (even though I injured our little boy)). Jordy was a pretty good sport. We were told we could give him some ibuprofen or Tylenol as needed, but Jordy didn't seem to be in pain anymore, rather, he was just frustrated that he couldn't move around! The little he was able to squirm around made his splint slip down, so thankfully my brother-in-law, Tyler Dahl (an orthopedic surgeon himself!) was able to walk me through how to put it back on him!

On Monday we went to see an orthopedic specialist- expecting Jordy to be put in a hard cast. We took the X-rays in from the ER- but the doctor was saying he wasn't seeing the buckle fracture on them, so he ordered more x-rays to be taken. He was then able to confirm, yes, there was a fracture. But then he felt Jordy's leg (expecting him to cry as he touched it or pull his leg away)-- but Jordy just stared the doctor down. So then the doctor told us his dilemma: he had never seen such a mild buckle break before-- where the kid was wanting to put weight on the foot and wasn't showing any tenderness when it was touched. He told us that he hated to put a hard cast on Jordy if it wasn't absolutely necessary (as it is heavier and Jordy really wouldn't be able to move around in it). However, a hard cast seemed like it would be better for us--to relieve some of our worries of Jordy trying to put weight on his leg before he was really ready to. The doctor said it should heal in about a week, but they'd keep the cast/splint on for 3 weeks to be sure. (Jordy had already tried pulling himself up several times with his splint on and even stood up in the doctor's office with it off). The doctor asked Jordy if he's just a tough guy-- uh, yeah! :) He has a broken leg- but he didn't want that to stop him!!!
We had no idea what to do--that was why we were seeing a specialist, we thought! We left with just the splint- with the idea Jordy could take a bath now and it wouldn't be as heavy/uncomfortable for him, however, after talking with my brother-in-law, we'll have him put a cast on Jordy while he's here---oh yeah...for Ben's wedding this week! :)
*I'm just glad I am done with classes until next week--I can keep an eye on Jordy until the cast is put on- which- even though the doctor told us the splint and the cast would do the same thing- I think the cast will just give us more peace of mind...

I can't even begin to write how terrible I feel or how exhausted I was from crying all Saturday night--and still want to cry when I see Jordy reaching to get down or trying to tell him he can't walk right now...

I am just thankful Jordy will be ok and that he still smiles at me! He is such an example of what I need to be better at: Forgiving and Forgetting and moving on...not letting things out of your control get you down...

He was so funny after the short-term narcotics had worn off and he sat up and looked at his splint for the first time in the ER. He looked down at it then up at us and then put his arms out and made his "huh" sound at us, as if to say "uh, what is this on my leg?" But ever since, he hasn't seemed to be bothered by it at all (not pulling on it)-- again, he just looks frustrated that it keeps him from moving!

I love my little guy so so much and I'm not sure who will be happier- me or him- when the next 3 weeks are over and he can walk again!

Waiting for the splint...(the receptionist at the ER was so nice and brought Jordy a little soccer ball and football- PERFECT for Jordy! He had thrown them both all around that room before we got out of there!)

Soon after his "huh?" moment! 




This one shows the buckle fracture the best
Jordy got to lick the beaters with the chocolate frosting on it- making Tyler jealous. 
We stopped and got ice-cream after his doctor's appointment. The only thing that seems different about Jordy (besides the fact that he's getting to be an efficient one-legged crawler) is that he doesn't seem to have much of an appetite anymore...maybe his stomach was in his leg?! :) But he still ate some ice-cream! (who could turn that down?!)






On a completely different note: As mentioned before- I did not picture THIS for our 3rd Anniversary. However, I can honestly say, I've never loved Tyler more! He has been so good with Jordy (and me) this weekend, and continues to make me smile and laugh every day.

I love both my boys so so much! :) (If only they had left room on the couch for me to snuggle...!)  






No comments:

Post a Comment